Product assembly and packing are key areas that can help manufacturers reduce waste and save money.
Of course the industry in which you operate will determine just how much you can reduce waste and costs, but even relatively small amounts can make a huge impact.
Improving the Efficiency of Product Assembly
Most businesses tend to manufacture a greater number of components than they need for product assembly. But even if this amount is as little as two percent it can have a profound effect on profits because most of these components are discarded.
There are several ways to reduce this type of waste including:
- Ensuring that all the components purchased by your business match the standards and specifications required for the products you are assembling.
- Checking that components aren’t damaged prior to assembly.
- Making sure that employees who handle components for product assembly recognize and appreciate the value of these components.
Improving the Product Packaging Operation
Even though the percentage spent on packaging most items is really quite small, minimizing packaging and ensuring goods are packaged correctly will cut down on costs. Just be aware that while goods must be packaged so that they won’t be damaged in transit, and then likely returned, it is also important to avoid over-packaging products.
There are a number of proven methods to reduce packaging of products including:
- Rationalizing the methods used for packaging by using automated systems for packing.
- Using transparent packaging materials so that operators can identify damaged products easily.
- Training operators of packaging machinery so that they handle products correctly during the packaging process.
- Ensuring packaging and transport operators recognize the real costs related to returns. They need to know how these affect your business and could impact on their earnings.
Outsourcing Product Assembly and Packing
Business owners like to maintain control of their manufacturing and packaging processes, which is understandable. But outsourcing product assembly and packing can both improve the process and cut down on costs.
Product assembly can be incredibly time-consuming, particularly when it is done manually. It is also a tedious business when components come from a variety of sources and need to by blended or mixed together prior to packaging. Companies like Technik Packaging Services, that provide product assembly and packing services, generally offer both manual and automated services. It really depends on the size of products and/or the volume runs concerned. Low volumes and short runs can be tackled manually; large volumes and long runs are better undertaken with automated packing systems.
In addition to product assembly and packing Technik Packaging Services also offers sourcing solutions, shipping fulfillment, and e-commerce support.
We cater to a number of different industries including consumer products, food and beverage, pet foods, powders, and a wide variety of industrial products. Call us today to see how we can work together.